UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Hey guys! This review blog is a resuscitation of one of my older attempts. I apologize for the rocky start, but I will get it up to speed as quickly as I can.
Meanwhile, enjoy the reviews I currently was able to save from one of my old facebook notes, and check back DAILY for new reviews and updates!
I'm over 51k gamerscore...so there's ALOT to review!

-LCC

Saturday, October 2, 2010

LIMBO

SPOILER ALERT!
One of the newer additions to Xbox arcade is LIMBO, a dark and fairly creepy side-scroller game.
I was pleasantly surprised. I grew up with side-scrollers, and Im practically obsessed with puzzle games...if the game isn't mentally stimulating, then it just aint worth it for me.
But, LIMBO has just as much bad as it does good...so for the first time ever, I will make a pros vs. cons list:

Pros (Goodness):
-Classic Side-Scroller
-Creepy
-Complex
-Simple controls
-Involving
-Well animated
-Visually appealing

Cons (not-so-good):
-Story is a little vague
-Didn't leave me begging for more
-Didn't make me want to play it again right away.
-Gameplay felt slow at times
-Somtimes a little TOO quiet

Maybe it was intended to be silent, and confusing and give the gamer a feel of WTF? In that, it succeeded...but for me, in all games, there MUST be a story.

"The primary character in Limbo is a nameless boy who awakens in the middle of a forest on the "edge of hell" (Limbo). The boy seeks out his missing sister, and encounters only a few additional human characters that either attack or run away from him. The boy seeks out his missing sister, and encounters only a few additional human characters that either attack or run away from him.
The forest eventually gives way to a dilapidated city environment. On completion of the final puzzle, the boy is thrown through a pane of glass, ending up in the forest again. The boy continues traveling further until he encounters a girl. Upon his approach, she stands up, startled; the game abruptly ends at this point."

That roughly sums it up. Had I not found that quote on Wikipedia, I would not have had ANY CLUE that I was looking for a little sister, that I was on the edge of hell.

That has to be the biggest downfall of the game...it leaves the player thinking: "What is going ON?!" and at the end, the gamer thinks: "I STILL DON'T GET IT!!!"

But all that aside...as far as gameplay itself goes...very enjoyable. It kept me thinking, personally, about "Ok...how am I gonna get across this? How am I going to get up there? OMG WHAT IS THAT THING AFTER ME!!?!"

I recommend and endorse its download...just keep in mind...the story is abit...."HUH?"

No comments:

Post a Comment