UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Hey guys! This review blog is a resuscitation of one of my older attempts. I apologize for the rocky start, but I will get it up to speed as quickly as I can.
Meanwhile, enjoy the reviews I currently was able to save from one of my old facebook notes, and check back DAILY for new reviews and updates!
I'm over 51k gamerscore...so there's ALOT to review!

-LCC

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Devil May Cry 4




What can I say about a video game series that personifies the Anime/Maga ideal to the greatest extent? Hmmm...
...in all honesty...not overly terrible! I actually managed to complete this one this time around, and it would be a REALLY decent game if it weren't so anime, with characters that look EXACTLY the same (See image above) even though they are opposing forces..."blondes" having WHITE hair, the typical "Swords-Mixed-with-Engines-that-are-so-overpowered-its-insane-not-to-mention-they-are-so-big-that-no-one-on-God's-Green-Earth-can-they ever-be-lifted-off-the-ground-much-less-wielded-in-one-hand" kinda thing that seems to be the common obsession of the Tokyo-based super-hero culture.
Albeit, the story is interesting, the war between Angels and Demons and those in between.
Being someone who grew up religiously, seeing Characters bearing the names of "Dante", and "Nero" are a nice touch...Nero being the Roman emperor responsible for the slaughter of thousands of Christians just shortly after the Crucifixion of Christ. It is an interesting way to pay tribute to the theologies of the storyline.
While this is a button-mashing combo game (Ya know...x,x,y,x,b,b,b,a = SUPERATTACK!), I am not one who can readily memorize such patterns for gameplay, and the fact that while DMC4 has this IN the game, it also allows for an "Automatic" mode for stupid people like me. Just keep mashing buttons and the computer will do the rest!
There are, however, a few MAJOR downfalls, from a game design perspective. One is that there are ZERO autosaves...so you could be playing for a couple hours, mow through 6 levels, and then go to bed, waking up the next day to realize "Im all the way back HERE!?"....yeah...not cool in the least.
The cinematics are a joy to watch, yet sometimes there are TOO many of them. One scene comes to mind where I waited 30 seconds for it to load, 5 minutes to play, 30 seconds to load the level....then 5 seconds of running down a hall, followed by...30 seconds of loading, 5 minutes cinematics...30 seconds of loading....
So in 12-ish minutes, I played 5 seconds...kinda lame, really...should have just had the 2 cinematics play as one and not bore me to death with waiting.
However, some of the cinematics caught me off-guard in a surprisingly pleasant way. One consisted of a failry fallical dialogue and in the first few seconds of it I was thinking to myself: "Are these writer's SERIOUS?!" but by the end, it was discovered that the character SAYING the dialogue was being witty and sarcastic and I ended up laughing quite heartily near the end.
Overall...not a bad game...kinda lame as far as achievements go, as it forces you to play through a NUMBER of times before getting them...and I have no particular desire to play it again unless I am REALLY REALLY bored...

Then there is THIS horrifying moment!

WOULD SOMEONE MIND TELLING ME WHAT THE DEUCE LADY GAGA IS DOING IN AN ANIME VIDEO GAME?! I AM SCARRED FOR LIFE!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment